Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Who Has Two Thumbs and Rode 30 km Today?

And then rode 8o more, and then 70 more after that? This guy. And Adam.



Today was the furthest I have ridden in one day by about 20 km. But before I get to that, several things have happened on the trip that I have been to tires to write about by the time I sit down in the evening.

First, on the second day of riding, we were swarmed by horseflies, and it sucked. They apparently really like drafting, because when you looked behind us it looked like a bees nest full of bee sized flies were following us. Riding second meant riding in the cloud, and I'm surprised one of us at least didn't crash trying to swat at them.

Second, I am excited to say that we have had three flats. Adam has flatted front and rear (separate occasions) and really made that extra wheelset brought pay off. I also got a flat on my tubular, but the sealant I had put in before we left sealed it off pretty quick, which was kind of surprising but awesome to see.

Third, my knee hurts. I don't really know why, but I intend to find out. But not until Friday.

Anyway, today we rode from 30 km short of Fox Creek to just past Sangudo, which puts us a little under 100 km from Saint Albert, our last destination before we drive south to Lethbridge. It was a hard day, but we picked up a nice tailwind toward the end and decided to take advantage while we had it, resulting in, if I may say, our impressive mileage. It got a little rainy and gritty toward the end, and I just came in from a cleaning/lubing/tire repairing session. Here's a pic of the drive train (which looked way dirtier in person) and Adam doing what he does all day these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment